Featured Tours

Recent Stories

Built in 1914 in the Collegiate Gothic style, the Music Hall stands above a section of Carleton’s now off-limits tunnel system. Connecting most campus buildings constructed before the 1980s, the heated tunnels were used as paths by students and…

Jeff Barber’s “Para-Pillars” memorializes thirty years of St. Olaf’s Paracollege, which provided innovative, individualized, interdisciplinary learning. The sculptor, class of 1978, is himself an alumnus of the “college within a college”…

Since its construction in 1868, the Scriver Building on Bridge Square has housed numerous businesses and has attracted countless visitors—including members of a nefarious gang. The two-story limestone structure was built by merchant Hiram…

The old City Hall and Fire House building was erected at 302 Division Street in 1876, the year of the attempted bank raid by the James-Younger gang. The building’s construction was part of an effort to transform the look of Division Street from…

The Northfield Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) building has served as a community gathering spot since its construction more than a century ago. The YMCA building at 304 Division Street opened to the public on December 10, 1885. It was…

In the wake of the death of St. Olaf College Professor of Religion and Philosophy William “Bill” Narum in May 2000, his family established a fund to honor his belief in community cooperation and to promote integration between faculty and staff.…

NorthfieldHistorical

NorthfieldHistorical is a collaborative effort of St Olaf College, Carleton College, and the Northfield Historical Society. The NorthfieldHistorical site is powered by Omeka + Curatescape, a humanities-centered web and mobile framework available for both Android and iOS devices. Join us in exploring Northfield! Read more About Us