Farm House

To attract extra help with the weeding each spring, Farm House, the sustainable-living interest house, hosts an event known as “Farmstock.” The well-known, popular event began in 1982. During the day students come and get their hands dirty while student bands and a cappella groups perform for the workers’ entertainment. As the sun sets and more and more food arrives for a large potluck dinner, productivity drops and frivolity begins. Students watch over the pig roast, sit on stumps around the fire chatting, and dance to the rowdier bands that play into the night.

Farm House has been a refuge for Carleton students for decades. Tucked back in the woods away from the rest of campus, the house is a homey and relaxed retreat where students can breath fresh air and dine on delicious organic home-cooked meals. Surrounding the house are 1.5 acres of gardens that students tend and harvest each year. The produce is consumed by the house residents and sold to Carleton’s dining service to be served in the dining halls.

The sustainable living project that emerged in the 1980s echoed an earlier concern that began before World War I, when Carleton bought the surrounding farmland and built the houses and a dairy barn to feed the “more than 200 hungry men” who moved onto campus when Burton Hall was built in 1916. Over the next five decades, the farm provided milk, vegetables, and paying jobs for Carleton students. The college built the two houses on the property in the 1920s. The larger Farm House originally housed financially needy students who worked jobs on the farm, while Parr House was the home of the farm’s superintendent.

By 1964 the farm was considered too time-consuming and was shut down. But with the 1970s came a new wave of interest in ecology and the environmental movement. In 1973, a group of students asked to move into the Farm and Parr houses with the goal of living more sustainably. Since then the close-knit farm community has thrived.

Images

Entrance to the Carleton Farm

Entrance to the Carleton Farm

A five-minute walk down this path will lead you past the gardens and into the backyard of Farm and Parr Houses. | Source: https://apps.carleton.edu/sustainability/campus/land/farm/ | Creator: Griffin Williams View File Details Page

Farm House in 1926

Farm House in 1926

The larger house is commonly referred to as "Farm House." The second house to the left is Parr House. | Source: Carleton College Digital Archives View File Details Page

Farm House 2009

Farm House 2009

The larger house seen in this picture is Farm House which houses thirteen students. The smaller building behind it is Parr House, where four students live. The two houses consider themselves one community. | Source: https://apps.carleton.edu/sustainability/campus/land/farm/ | Creator: Nate Ryan View File Details Page

Carleton Farm in 1926

Carleton Farm in 1926

This picture from 1926 of the Carleton dairy farm was taken from the other side of Lyman Lakes. Students helped care for the cows even in the cold winter. | Source: Carleton College Digital Archives View File Details Page

The Summer Harvest

The Summer Harvest

A summer student worker weeding in the 1.5-acre farm surrounding Farm House. | Source: https://apps.carleton.edu/sustainability/campus/land/farm/ | Creator: Marlena Hartman-Filson View File Details Page

Farmstock in 1982

Farmstock in 1982

Carleton students perform at one of the first Farmstocks. | Source: The Farm House 'Zine: https://apps.carleton.edu/alumni/assets/farm_house_zine_2012.pdf | Creator: Scott Weber View File Details Page

A Contra Dance 1989

A Contra Dance 1989

Farm House's expansive backyard is the perfect place for dances, games, and performances. | Source: The Farm House 'Zine: https://apps.carleton.edu/alumni/assets/farm_house_zine_2012.pdf | Creator: Valerie Weiss View File Details Page

House Dinner

House Dinner

A Farm House resident prepares a potluck dinner outside in 1977. The barn in the background is a remnant of the earlier Carleton dairy farm. | Source: Carleton College Archives View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Leslie Moore, “Farm House,” NorthfieldHistorical, accessed April 24, 2017, http://northfieldhistorical.org/items/show/80.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story